Re: Where can I get Vandervell bearings???

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Where can I get Vandervell bearings???
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:06:10 -0700
this is just a shot in the dark, as i haven't had to locate vandervells for
some time. another (american brg.) source is the famous "cevite 77"
bearings . these are or were THE brg to use in any "murikan" racing engine
for years. if they list your engine - happy days. i belive they had allmost
identical construction to vandervells, but this memory is back from my
collage mech eng days (daze more like).  also , think about what yor end
use is going to be. if it's a street eng whith no oiling probs, (that
excludes all spits) brg embedability is important. your eng will last
longer with soft brgs. if you plan to flog it, you need the stronger brgs,
but will pay the price in crank wear. in my autocross days (20 yrs ago and
hopfully 6 mo from now he he) i'd use 8000 rpm in my spit and replace the 2
and 3 rod brg every 2 mo. i couldn't afford to nitride my crank so it got
uglyer and uglyer.

don boyd
69 tr6 ,spit (the same one)
61 tr3
61 98S ( i'll give you a hint it loves olive oil)