Re: Steering Wheel Movement

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Movement
From: Dennis Kimberlin <dkimberl@ops.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:51:29 -0500
Cc: burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brad Kahler wrote:

> It sounds like bushings to me.  My spit doesn't do it but I've
> installed new bushings.  Not that hard to do.  I can't think of
> anything else that would cause the symptoms that you're describing.
>
> > I have the same problem, steering wheel slop, with mine, and it's
> > been that way for years, of course I haven't   been driving it much.
> >  I suspect that I will have to redo the steering area, but haven't
> > gotten around to it.  I haven't seen any answers to this so I was
> > just wondering if there is an answer, or if I just missed it?
> > Anyone???
> >
> > Jane
> > '67 GT6
> >
> > >After spending Sunday at Triumph Day in Brookline MA, (and taking 3rd in my
> > >class!),  I noticed some vertical movement in my steering column. If I grab
> > >the wheel, I can move it up and down a little (but not really side to
>side).
> > >I've never noticed this before and wonder if the column bushings are shot.
> > >It's been quite a week: broken tach cable, oil pressure sensor goes bad and
> > >now this. Oh well.......... Thanks in advance
> > >Bob Danielson
> > >75 TR6 - status at
> > >http://pages.cthome.net/BobD
> >

> "He who dies with the most toys wins"
>
> Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
>
> 1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
> 1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Waiting for garage space to start teardown)
> 1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Suspension just about ready to
>install)
Agree with Brad.  I also replaced the bushing system on the stabilizer
bar and got a secondary benefit of a reduction in steering wheel play.
Hey Brad, had Reserves this weekend so was unable to put that quality
time into the SPIT.  Going to try this week.  Promise not to delay too
long on the coils.  Thanks.
Dennis
75 SPIT
Omaha, NE