Re: TR3A rust in fuel pump

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3A rust in fuel pump
From: "J. Robinson" <jrobins@nwc.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:31:45 -0700
M.W.,

I had the exact experience with a 59TR3A I purchased some years back.  It
had been sitting in a garage in San Francisco for a number of years.

That brown particulate matter you mention is very likely the residue that is
left behind when gasoline sits in a gas tank for many years.  The new gas
you have been adding to the tank is likely loosening up the sludge that has
been stuck to the bottom of the tank all these years, waiting for its moment
to be free again.

I solved the problem by having the fuel tank professionally boiled out,
removing and throughly cleaning out the fuel line with solvent, and
throughly cleaning out the fuel pump and carbs.  From the amount of sludge
you have indicated, I can assure you that this will be your only road to
salvation.

J. Robinson