Re: Stuck Valves

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stuck Valves
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:25:40 -0700
Andy;

         Yea, a feeler guage is out of the running in this one.:-) I've got an
advantage on you there because I once worked as an aerospace job shop
machinist. In the course of 6 yrs doing that I amassed quite a collection
of inspection tools. Here's a good way to estimate clearance:
Where L2= valve guide length(or working length)
        L3=distance the valve head is above the end of the guide
        X1= radial measurement of play on the rim of the valve
        x= guide clearance

                                x= (L3 divided by(( 1/2xL2)+L3))xX1
This from memory, so please double check with a referance book on
performance engine building.( go to Borders Books or Barnes and Noble grab
a book and start reading)
With this method , all you need is a dial indicator and a way to attach it
to the cyl. head. Take the head and set it upside down on the families hand
rubbed walnut dining table. Slide a valve down a clean guide until it hits
the table. Measure  the distance from the top of the head to the end of the
guide(in this case valve OAL minus guide length) . Note that if the guide
is relived in the bore for the first 1/4" or so you must add that in . We
are after the working length of the guide. Measure the rocking of the
valve. This should be anywhere from .003 to .010 depending on the geometry
. Plug in the #s and there you have it. dail ind. and base can be had for
less than $100 if you look a little. Find a tool company (mail order)
called ENCO. they have good cheap stuff.