Re: Stuck Valves

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stuck Valves
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:13:49 -0700
jim;
        the key is chrome flashed stems if you want to run tight clearances.
setting up intake valves with .002 is pre wearing them 1/3 of ther
effective life. with silicon or manganese bronze guides, part of the
advantage is that you can run allmost zero clearance. many new valves
aren't chrome flashed, as most of the world is not lead free. if you can't
get chromed stems then you might be better off with cast iron . for me, so
far the only eng i haven't been able to locate c.f. stem valves for has
been my old land rover 2.25 . you need to start talking to the companies
who make the valves. TRW , ATE, etc. ,then find a jobber who will sell them
to you. i run into the "just sell the guy whats on the shelf" attitude a
lot when it comes to brit suppliers.  ask yourself why a toyota 22 R usally
doesn't need a valve job untill 200-250 thousand miles (unless it's abused)
. lots of mechanics and machinists don't want to do thier homework. get a
TRW or other valve catalog, and start looking up the specs for modern
engines, the ask how to get valves like them.good hunting!

don boyd