Re: PI cam

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: PI cam
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:33:13 -0700
Ken;
        I would be looking for the early manifold 150HP version, but would
accept
another if the price is right. I'm used to working on Bosch , Spica and
Kuggefischer units and am sure I could recalibrate as nessesary. I know
about the mods , but my early 6 has the brackets and some of the line
outlets allready in place. Also, honestly, this is not going to tax my
fabrication or tuneing skills.
(just my spelling skills!)
 ques. 1) no opinion except that I find the earlier unit simpler to work
on. Also, keep in mind it's not TRs I know so much about, as my shop
specialized in other makes. I have a somewhat odd mix of work and school
exp. that gives me a good base to start from. A spitfire was (and still is)
my first car however.
 ques2) (the one six other guys have emailed me too!) the answer would be
looooong , so Im just going to give you some referances. All my books are
400 mi away so this will not be exact titles(sorry). First- G. Bell
Tuneing four stoke engines        This man is out of Austrailia, and I
bought the book from Classic Motorbooks in Oseola wis.         2nd-  David
Vizard's book on cyl head modification . Don't remember the exact name
something like 'how to modify cylinder heads" circa 1980 or so. small book,
with diagrams of various british heads in the back.  3rd- Vizards "tuning
BMC A series engines"  This is a big book with incredable amounts of info
and basic research. you NEED this book.I borrowed a copy , I NEED this
book!!!   4th- Jim Kartalamakis "how to power tune Alfa Romeo twin cam
engs." borrow this one after you read the others and do the math on his
ports notice his port/valve ratio agrees with vizard and bell. Check out
his cam designs. I'm not sure I agree, but this can only be debated on a
dyno. His exhaust system designs are good too.  5th- racecar  volume 8 no.2
 pg 36  Vizard talks about valve springs, but gives a lot to think about on
ports too.  6th- Doug Lofgren has some fasinating Ducati tuning on his page
 http://www.wavefront.com/~moperfserv/     theres lots more , but these are
most up to date. Then , when you've read all these, got out to your or your
friends lotus twin cam and start measuring ports.Those man were gods. The
big differance between 1961 and 1990 (around when most of these books were
written) is that very few people really knew "THE TRUTH"  about port flow.
Now as long as your dealing with classic port shape, the math is known and
only fine tuning is needed on a flow bench for street use. Note that tr6 ,
volvo b20, lotus twin cams,alfa twin cam, and ducatis have classic ports.
Small block chevys and pre M20 BMWs do not.
        There is still no substitute for a flow bench, but the hunt has greatly
narrowed.....
One more referance. go read back isues of Cycle World for Kevin Camaron's
column.
        Any of these guys have forgotten more than I'll ever know.
 ques3) No he doesn't but look at the theroetical ideal port in Bell or
Vizard cyl. head book and you'll get the idea.Check out the new stuff on
Lofgrens page too.(for ducati 2 valve engs)