Re: Transmission filler plug Help Needed

To: The Browns <thebrown@digital.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission filler plug Help Needed
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:03:45 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, The Browns wrote:

> I have a problem with my Stag.  I need to check the oil level.  How do you
> get the filler plug out of a transmission which will not move with an open
> end wrench?  There is not enough access room to use a visegrip as well as a
> lower stiffening web that prevents getting a good grip on the square plug
> surface.  Why didn't they use a hex head, so that you could use a socket?

1)  You can get an 8-point socket to fit square plugs.  I think you need a
7/16.

...however...

2)  If you are lucky you can get a 4-point socket to fit square plugs.  I
have a Blackhawk impact socket of this kind.  The only markings
are "7/16" on one side "014" on the other, and "BLACKHAWK / MADE IN USA"
on the other.  This little toy is probably older than me, so I'm not sure
of their availability... but somewhere there must be a pile...

-Malcolm
'62 TR4