Re: TR6 steering

To: "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 steering
From: "Lars G. Johnsen" <lars.johnsen@lili.uib.no>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:02:05 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi

> The car now does not hold a straight line.  I have to constantly correct
> the steering.  It seems to wander at any time, feels light, and
> certainly doesn't make me feel secure.
>
> All the front suspension has been rebuilt and is tight, as is the
> steering.

Given that the car feels light, it could be that the tire pressure is
too high. My TR6 (I suppose it is not unique in that respect) is
sensitive to changes in tire pressure, and feels more secure with less
air. The shop putting on new tires (205/70) thought that the stock
pressures were too low for the size and put in more air (almost 30 psi)
which I gradually bled, and it is now around 23 psi, still higher than
stock. It did make a difference.

Best, Lars
'74 TR6