Re: Tip on wheel painting with the tire on.

To: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: Re: Tip on wheel painting with the tire on.
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 12:14:14 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Chris Lillja wrote:

> Many thanks for the tips, guys! I have to say that the rim had a lovely
>225R/78/15
> Cadillac whitewall(?!?!!) on it, still held air, too.... My local tire guy
>removed same.
> So I actually have a chance to wire brush the little bit of rust on the bead
>and generally
> clean it up and do a nice job.

...and taking this all to a (hopefully) logical conclusion:

If you don't have ready access to one of the more modern tire mount
machines that doesn't scrape the he** out of the rim when mounting the
tire, first clean up the entire rim (sans tire). Get the inside of the rim
(the part covered by the tire, not the part that faces the hub) all
painted, then have the tire put on the rim.

DO NOT SEAT THE BEADS AT THIS TIME.

Cover up that tire with paper or whatever to mask it off. Now finish paint
the rest of the rim, inflate the tire so that the beads seat and you're
all set. No marks on the edge of the rim (unless someone makes a mess
trying to attach balance weights).

--Andy