Gasoline leak in carb.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gasoline leak in carb.
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 19:03:41 EDT
Help!

     I recently began a rear brake job on my 76 TR6 due to a leaking master
cylinder.  While I had the rear jacked up to remove the old components and
clean the backing plate I noticed a distinct gasoline smell.  I looked at the
front and saw gasoline dropping underneath the car.  Upon opening the hood, I
saw fuel leaking from my foremost carburetor.  I thought that perhaps my float
had stuck because of the angle of the car so I jacked the front up to the same
level.  The car has been on jack stands for about a week.  I have gotten an
occasional gasoline smell in my garage and thought that it was some of the
residual gasoline from the original leak because I did not see any further
evidence of gasoline dripping under the carburetor.  However, today I felt
under the carburetor and it was wet with gas.  I think now that the gas
continued to leak, but was evaporating before it could drip.  I am very
concerned with this situation because my garage is in my basement and
contiguous with the rest of my house.  I need to find the way to stop this
leak for a number of safety reasons.

I have 175 CD-2 carburetors on my car.  There is a small circular yellow
plastic cap on the bottom of the carburetor around which the fuel is leaking.
The fuel is leaking at a much higher rate since I manipulated the cap.  The
cap turns freely and will not unscrew or screw down tighter.  I have a Haynes
manual on carburetors but it  only shows that the jet is located there.  The
arrangement I see under my carbs is not depicted in the manual.  The other
carburetor has an identical arrangement but the cap feels tight to the fuel
chamber.  I have clamped off the fuel line going to the carburetor, but I am
concerned that there is enough fuel remaining in the float chamber to continue
to leak for some time.  I would like to know if I can simply remove the float
chamber with the carburetor in position and deal with the problem or if there
is a simple way to remove the plastic cap.  Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

David Gill
76 TR6