RE: tr4a/tractor engines

To: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: tr4a/tractor engines
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 98 10:21:00 -0600
Your right Chris, Lamborghini and Porsche both Built tractors. They don't
have a direct relationship engine wise though. Well maybe Porsche, but the
Lamborghini V12 was designed by an ex-Ferrari engineer. Not one of the
Tractor designers. Ford also built and still builds tractors. Will you
compare those to the GT-40?

        Actually, I think all the "crossbreeding" in the British Auto(using
the term loosely to incorporate farm implements as well) is very
interesting. I wonder if all of those lawyers and bankers (no offense meant
to either) driving around in there brand new Range/ Land Rover's, are aware
that the roots of their vehicle was meant for field work. What's sad is
that they probably don't even care.  But then again, we all can't be
history buff's.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>, on 10/5/98 4:16
AM:
And just what is wrong with being a tractor engine?!

It should be remembered that both Porsche (Type 111) and Lamborgini have
built tractors.
I think Lamborgini still does.

That being said I'm pretty sure the wet liner 4 cyl Standard Triumph engine
was developed
as a passenger car engine for the Standard Vangaurd Saloon. That engine was
so
well made and reliable that it was modified and detuned into an EXCELLENT
tractor
unit....

Whenever I go to a British car show I'm amazed how many cars from the TR
era lack a
separate intake and exhaust port for each cylinder! Now Healy and MG motors
look like
tractor motors! Except they're probably not reliable enough, and after 20
years or so,
you couldn't rebuild one in the middle of a muddy field!

I say I own a "tractor" engine TR with PRIDE!

Harrumph! Sorry, I'll chill out now...

Chris Lillja
Spit MkIV
Norton Commando