Re: Leaking carburetor-The successful conclusion

To: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov
Subject: Re: Leaking carburetor-The successful conclusion
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 12:35:03 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bud,

I guess that I should let the list know what was the successful fix for my
leaking carburetor.  It turns out that what I thought was a yellow plastic cap
on the underside of my carburetor was a brass plug.  The plug was apparently a
retrofit to enable Zenith to use the same float chamber cover though the jet
assembly and adjuster no longer protuded through the chamber cover.  The plug
is held into the chamber by four ramp fittings that are made into the plug.
There is an O-ring near the base of the plug that seals the entire set-up.  In
my case, the O-ring had deteriorated allowing the gasoline to leak around the
plug.  The solution to my immediate problem was to rock the plug gently while
using a thin bladed screwdriver to exert a downward force on the plug.  It
really came out fairly easily.  I drained the remaining gasoline in the float
chamber and the leaking ceased.  This morning I obtained a new O-ring at one
of the local part houses and reinserted the plug.  The replacement took all of
15 seconds.  I still have some gasoline fumes lingering in my house, but I
believe that this will dissipate fairly quickly with some ventilation.

My immediate problem with the car was that the rear wheels, drums, wheel
cylinders and brake shoes were off my car.  The garage I use for my TR6 is in
an unfinished portion of my basement adjacent to a family recreation room and
my daughter's bedroom.  There is a severe incline from my garage to a wooded
area, and even if I had replaced the wheels, without brakes there was no way
to take the car out of my garage.

This is a good example of how this list is such an invaluable tool for
automobile novices like myself.  Once again, thanks to all that gave me their
assistance.

David Gill