Re: Rollbars and Tonneau Covers

To: lee.k.janssen@lmco.com
Subject: Re: Rollbars and Tonneau Covers
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 98 11:21:23 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Lee,

        > How do you modify a tonneau cover to fit a car with a roll bar.
        > I can't envision how you can get a weather resistant seal with
        > all of the required
cutting.

Well, as soon as you place ANY cut in a tonneau, you compromise its
weather-resistance.  Tonneaus are not 100% guarantees against leaks
anyway, so prepare yourself for it now.

Modifying a tonneau to keep a "lot" of the weather out is straightforward.
Take it to an uphoslstry shop, and they will either cut slits from the
outside of the tonneau to the upright portion of the bar, or long slit
between the uprights.  They will tape-seal and sew the edges, with velcro
on the underside so as to keep the slits "joined".  Such a job cost me $25.
You could use zips in place of the velcro, but that would add to the cost
and probably look pretty ugly in addition to being fussy to install/remove.
Its not completely watertight, but if you want a watertight interior,
buy a hardtop!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego