RE: Refinishing TR4A Wood Dash

To: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Refinishing TR4A Wood Dash
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:53:11 -0400
Message text written by "Jim Altman"
>I used a heat gun on mine and it all came right off.  30 minutes start to
finish.
<

Jim & Joe,

I have a low temp (well, hot enough to burn me, but prob.
not the wood), and had tried it at the same time as your
messages.  It did work, but it seems to be taking more
time than 30 min.  Maybe I am not heating it enough,
but I don't want to soften it so much that it does not
come off as a single layer.  I probably need more heat.
When you heated it, what did the plastic layer do?
Did it peel up on its own the way paint sort-of does?

When you had all the finish off (i guess it is a plastic
film), did you need to get rid if any discolorations?
What did you use?  Oxalic acid?

What stain did you.  Minwax "dark walnut"  seems
to be a fair match to the non-faded side of the glove
box door.  Is there such a thing as "regular walnut"?
I saw "special walnut", but that seemed to be darker yet.
I think that the stock color in the glove box is maybe a little
too dark.....  I guess I have been used to a faded color.
BTW, this dash is a spare (poorer condition than the one
on the car).

-Tony