RE: Haynes manual maintenance schedule

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Haynes manual maintenance schedule
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 11:11:39 -0600

Gear oil is fine for this. Some people use grease but the manuals all seem
to say gear oil that is what I have used with no ill effects. Check out
<http://www.vtr.org/maintain/trunnion-oil.html> for more info on how to get
the oil in there.

As for the rack, I use grease. Remove the plug and do one of the following:

1. This is the "quick and dirty" but not quite right way... Your grease gun
probably has a 1/8" NPT male fitting on the hose end. You can generally
thread this into the hole left by the removed plug. Be warned however, that
the plug is threaded with 1/8-28 BSP (very close to, but not quite the same
as NPT which is 1/8-27). Once the hose is in, you should be able to apply
the 5 strokes (or whatever) to lube the rack. Please not ethat you are in
effect cross-threading the plug in the rack by doing this. The two threads
are close enough that it may not matter too much (at least not the first
time you do it).

2. This is the correct way (or one of them). Get a BSP-NPT adapter from
Stewart-Warner (it's in their catalog towards the back, I paid $10 Canadian
for mine). It has a 1/8-28 BSP male to 1/8-27 NPT female connector (which
you'll need for this) and also a 1/8-28 BSP female to 1/8-27 NPT male
connector. It will allow you to convert your NPT grease fitting to the BSP
thread on the rack plug. Then follow the same procedure as above. No ruined
threads in the rack plug.

BTW, BSP is british standard pipe.

HTH

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---