TR6: big-end and main bearing replacement

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6: big-end and main bearing replacement
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 98 11:44:52 PDT
All,

This weekend I am going to embark on a most perilous adventure;
replacing big-end and main bearings in "Rags" to bolster poor
oil pressure at idle (and preserve the crankshaft).

I'm pretty sure I can do this (and new thrust washers and new oil
pump) in situ, without having to remove the crankshaft.

My plan is to use standard size bearings in my 75K mile motor; I'll
be doing a major rebuild in 4 years (or 20K miles or motor-death,
whichever comes first :) anyway, so I dont think there is a need to
worry about oversized bearings, unless someone can convince me otherwise.....

My real concern is replacing the upper shell of the main bearings;
Many folk in the V8 world believe I may have a problem installing
the new upper shells and getting them to seat correctly; their advice
is to just replace the lower main shell.  Does this sound like
OK advice?

Do folk have preferred source of vendors for bearings?

Any other tips and gotchas?

Thanks in advance....I'll write up the adventure (for this neophyte
mekanik :) and let you all know how it goes.

Cheerio, wish me luck!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego