Re: TR6: big-end and main bearing replacement

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <triumph@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: TR6: big-end and main bearing replacement
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:31:34 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

I used to do it all the time on my MGB, which was a daily driver and
suffered the abuse of about 10-15,000 miles a year for the fifteen years
I drove it.  This winter I will undertake the same thing with the TR6.
>From what I have read and from the people I have talked with, it's the
same thing on a Triumph

I always used a feeler guage to push the upper half of the bearing out,
careful not to scratch anthing.  Lubricate the upper half of the new one
and slide it back in, careful to make certain that the little tab thingie
gets into its groove.  (You can only take them out and put them in one
way, 'cause of that little tab.)  I figure it's cheap engine insurance to
do it every 20-30,000 miles and it's not that tough.  Seal the pan well
and nobody will know it's an LBC, 'cause it won't leak enough!

You can Plasti-Guage the crank to make sure that it's not too worn, but if
there is still a good surface on the old bearing, you should be fine.
'Course if you follow my advice and the whole thing blows up, I don't know
nothin'!!  ;-)

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let us both know!

Take care and good luck

Michael