RE: Sand

Subject: RE: Sand
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:31:46 -0500
Ronald,

For sand:       any home supply store should have "play sand".  Something
like $2-$3 per 50 pound bag.  There are drawbacks, such as the sand will
chew up the nozzle on the blaster handle quickly and shatters to fine dust
very quickly, obscuring what little vision you have.

For glass bead: WW Granger (no, not "www"  :-) which is a large industrial
supply concern carries the glass bead in 50 lb tubs.  As I recall it was
about $30 for the tub when I picked it up 6 years ago.  Yes, it's more
expensive than sand.  Since you only use 2-5 pounds at a time and it gets
recycled it should last a long time.  I started with a medium grit, not
agressive enough for heavy rust but fairly gentle to the parts being
cleaned.

Or keep an eye out for automotive flea markets/swap meets, typically someone
will be there with blaster cabinets and supplies.

Jim