Spitfire 1500 for Daily Driving?

To: Triumph Digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire 1500 for Daily Driving?
From: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:53:55 -0500
'ello,

This is my first post to the list.  Of course, I have questions...

First Question:
Is the idea of driving a "newer" Spitfire as daily transportation completely
insane?

Here's my dilemma:  I am a former Spitfire owner, so I know what it's like to
live with a crotchety old British car year-round in the state of Kansas.  I
gave up my Spit after my divorce and have used the excuse of "no garage" to
keep me out of a convertible for the past 4 years.  (dare I admit to owning a
Geo Metro convertible after selling the Spitfire?)  Well, my new house is
under construction... by December, I will have a garage... and no more
excuses!

For the past 4 years I've been driving a 1994 Saturn SC2, which I really
enjoy, but it's not a convertible... and damned Saturn doesn't have a
convertible in their future plans.  I've been thinking about a Miata, drove a
'99 yesterday (wow!).  But I don't have that kind of money available right
now.  In fact, all I have available is my Saturn less the $3k that I owe on
it, call it $6k.

I'm figuring I can take that $6k, buy a nice Spitfire for $3k or so and have
some cash in the bank to cover updates and repairs.

Second Question:
How much should I expect to spend annually on maintenance and repairs for said
Spitfire?

My daily commute is only about 20 minutes one-way, mostly city traffic
40-50mph, stoplights, and the occasional blast to 70-80 on the freeway.  My
annual mileage is 7-8k.  I do autocross about twice per month throughout the
summer, but I don't expect my daily driver to be extremely competitive.

More figuring:  Based on the purchase price of my Saturn and it's current
value (not including maintenance, repairs, insurance, or interest on the
loan), I've spent at least $1300 per year on my Saturn.  I just can't see
spending that much maintaining a Spitfire... at least not EVERY year.

I am going to test drive a Spitfire tomorrow afternoon, haven't driven one
since I sold mine 5 years ago.  The first step in this process is to make sure
that I still like the car as much as I used to.  I'll let you know!

Third Question:
What are the most common drivetrain swaps for Spitfires?

I tried to stuff the ol' 2.8 Capri V6 into my old one with limited success.
Would have been more successful if I'd had a better engine.  One thing I did
learn about engine swapping a Spitfire is that if I ever do it again it won't
be a V engine, it will be an inline engine of the same configuration as the OE
engine.  Routing the left-side exhaust was a pain, and carb clearance on the
top of the engine was also a pain.  Not impossible, but more involved than
necessary.

I'm also not interested in a rotary.  I'm not really a "traditionalist" in
most respects, but I just can't get into rotaries, even if they do offer
awesome performance with next to no weight.

Nor am I terribly interested in a Triumph 6 swap... though I could be
persuaded if it's a TRUE bolt-in installation with no mods required.

What I'm really after is something EXTREMELY common with great reliability and
low maintenance.  One of my ideas was an early Celica Supra.  Never did any
measurements to see how it would fit, but it's an inline 6, independent rear,
5-speed, I could enjoy that.  Of course, I was also wondering last night if
anyone has made a Spit-Miata yet. (Spitfire M-edition?)

The first two questions are serious.  The third is serious, but not something
that I intend to do in the near future.  Just curious.

Looking forward to your replies.

--

          Loren Williams - #59 CSP-light 1994 Saturn SC2
   Homepage (Who Cares?) - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw