Re: Spitfire 1500 for Daily Driving?

To: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 for Daily Driving?
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 23:33:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Loren Williams wrote:

> 'ello,
>
> This is my first post to the list.  Of course, I have questions...
>
> First Question:
> Is the idea of driving a "newer" Spitfire as daily transportation completely
> insane?
>
> Here's my dilemma:  I am a former Spitfire owner, so I know what it's like to
> live with a crotchety old British car year-round in the state of Kansas.  I
> gave up my Spit after my divorce and have used the excuse of "no garage" to
> keep me out of a convertible for the past 4 years.  (dare I admit to owning a
> Geo Metro convertible after selling the Spitfire?)  Well, my new house is
> under construction... by December, I will have a garage... and no more
> excuses!
>
> For the past 4 years I've been driving a 1994 Saturn SC2, which I really
> enjoy, but it's not a convertible... and damned Saturn doesn't have a
> convertible in their future plans.  I've been thinking about a Miata, drove a
> '99 yesterday (wow!).  But I don't have that kind of money available right
> now.  In fact, all I have available is my Saturn less the $3k that I owe on
> it, call it $6k.
>
> I'm figuring I can take that $6k, buy a nice Spitfire for $3k or so and have
> some cash in the bank to cover updates and repairs.
>
> Second Question:
> How much should I expect to spend annually on maintenance and repairs for said
> Spitfire?
>
> My daily commute is only about 20 minutes one-way, mostly city traffic
> 40-50mph, stoplights, and the occasional blast to 70-80 on the freeway.  My
> annual mileage is 7-8k.  I do autocross about twice per month throughout the
> summer, but I don't expect my daily driver to be extremely competitive.
>
> More figuring:  Based on the purchase price of my Saturn and it's current
> value (not including maintenance, repairs, insurance, or interest on the
> loan), I've spent at least $1300 per year on my Saturn.  I just can't see
> spending that much maintaining a Spitfire... at least not EVERY year.
>
> I am going to test drive a Spitfire tomorrow afternoon, haven't driven one
> since I sold mine 5 years ago.  The first step in this process is to make sure
> that I still like the car as much as I used to.  I'll let you know!
>
> Third Question:
> What are the most common drivetrain swaps for Spitfires?
>
> I tried to stuff the ol' 2.8 Capri V6 into my old one with limited success.
> Would have been more successful if I'd had a better engine.  One thing I did
> learn about engine swapping a Spitfire is that if I ever do it again it won't
> be a V engine, it will be an inline engine of the same configuration as the OE
> engine.  Routing the left-side exhaust was a pain, and carb clearance on the
> top of the engine was also a pain.  Not impossible, but more involved than
> necessary.
>
> I'm also not interested in a rotary.  I'm not really a "traditionalist" in
> [...]

1500 has been my dailey driver for 8 years now and I have replaced the
alt. and last week the clutch. I drive about the same mileage as you, but
when you autocross, you may be looking at a whole new ball game, thats a
lot of wear & tear. For 3K you should need nothing, that is pretty close
to top price for a nice driver. Just my .02