Re: Core Plugs

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Core Plugs
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:32:30 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> Ok, just mesured the core plugs ("freeze" plugs to some of you) on my  TR6.
> I peg them at 1 1/2" diameter. Anyone else agree? This would be a good
> size, since that's the same diameter as a small block Ford. I can get brass
> plugs locally cheeper that steel "TR6" ones mail order.

I used brass plugs purchased locally.  Testing my memory:
- 6 - 1 1/2" - 4 one side, 1 back, 1 front
- 2 - 1 1/4" - other side of engine
- 1 - 1" - front (or was it 3/4?)
(it may be 5, 3, 1.  It should be obvious)

There are two types of plugs, shallow and deep.  I used shallow for all but the
1".

The two 1 1/4" can't be removed by popping one side in, since they seat against
a backing in the block.  I used a punch and put a hole through the center.  I
then ran a tap through the hole (1/4") and inserted a bolt.  I pried the bolt
out like pulling a nail.  I did this with the engine on a stand, so I rotated
the engine upside down and blew everything out again.

Also, use sealer when installing the plugs.  I didn't the first time because
the guy at the parts store told me I didn't need it.  It was much easier to
remove the new (leaking without sealer) plugs than the old rusted in ones.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6