Spit fuel float

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit fuel float
From: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 05:07:59 -0700
Hi. It's been a while since I subscribed to this list. The last time was
when I sent $20.00 to Mark Bradakis for either beer or a new server (Maybe
both?).

Anyhow, I still own my 77 Triumph Spitfire 1500 and about a year ago, the
fuel gauge stopped working. I finally got around to testing it by grounding
it out to the chassis and the little needle slowly woke up and pegged to
the right. So, I figured  it was the sender. Pulling the sender revealed
the real problem. The little plastic barrel float was full of gas.
Apparently, the wire that grips the float wore a hole in it  (how can this
happen?) and gasoline seeped in. My fix was to use a smidge of silicone
bathroom caulk to plug the hole. It works fine now, but I was really unsure
how to plug the hole. Do bathroom tub and tile caulk and gasoline mix? Will
the gas eventually "eat" the caulk? Will the caulk "poison" the gasoline?

And finally, does anyone have a holeless float they are willing to part with?