Re: Spit fuel float

To: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Subject: Re: Spit fuel float
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:12:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Ken Bertschy wrote:

> Apparently, the wire that grips the float wore a hole in it  (how can this
> happen?) and gasoline seeped in. My fix was to use a smidge of silicone
> bathroom caulk to plug the hole. It works fine now, but I was really unsure
> how to plug the hole. Do bathroom tub and tile caulk and gasoline mix? Will
> the gas eventually "eat" the caulk? Will the caulk "poison" the gasoline?

The caulk will not poison the gasoline (noticeably) but the gas WILL eat
the silicone.  If you read the tube of Form-A-Gasket (RTV Blue's what I
use) it says not for applications where gasket is immersed in gasoline.

You can get a product called Seal-All that is unaffected by gasoline.  I
don't know if it's safe for plastics though.

Might also be able to wrap the float with something like a closed-cell
foam.  Not being a foam expert, I'm not sure what kind.  You're looking
for something that can withstand constant immersion in a solvent.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm