Re: TR6 Wheels

To: rgb@exact.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Wheels
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:34:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 rgb@exact.com wrote:

> Bob, your memory is slipping.   There is NO other wheel
> to my knowledge that has both the same bolt pattern and
> offset on a stock car.   Some of the racers use wheels
> made for the 65-67 Ford Mustang 4 bolt patter, these
> are known as Shelby wheels, these appear to have a 0.25"
> offset in the outboard direction, clearing the A-arm, but
> fouling the fender if you drive hard.   FYI, the later 4
> bolt Ford wheels are a different pattern.

Okay - my memory is slipping, because I don't think I sent the message
you are referring to. I do recall that I said something like "the back
spacing is around 4 inches" - so I appreciate the feedback about the 3.5
inch backspace. I think someone else posted the info on the other wheels.

FWIW, I've given up on alternate wheel sources and have obtained wheels
that are supposed to fit on TR6 - I have 8 ea. 4 spoke American Racing
wheels and 4 Revolutions - in various widths so that I can accomodate both
"slicks" and "rains" for my project car.

And what I've paid for those wheels... let's not go there. It was a lot.

[Stuff deleted]

As for running stock class in SCCA - I don't (at least with my TR6), but
basically stock rules (as you suggest) don't give you any room to play
with and still be legal. In that case - you could stick with stock rims.
I just wanted to make sure that folks know that the stock rims are a bit
on the flimsey side, and I (as a racer) would be very wary about running
30 year-old stock TR6 rims "at the limit". They would be okay for AutoX,
but they should be checked for cracks from time to time.

See ya,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |