Re: TR6: Drive shaft removal

To: John Clark <drjclark@mindspring.com>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6: Drive shaft removal
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:04:24 -0400
Jack R. Clark  writes:

>Listers,
>
>The Bentley manual suggests to remove the exhaust system
>in order to remove the drive shaft. Is it possible to do
>this by removing the rear transmission tunnel instead,
>and extracting the drive shaft from above.
>The reason I ask this is that the exhaust pipe joints
>look very difficult to separate. Which way would be easier?
>
>Thanks again,
>Jack '74 TR6

Dan Masters writes

>In a message dated 98-10-11 12:37:22 EDT, moag@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
>> The Bentley manual for my Spitfire said the same thing, but I was able
>>  remove and replace the drive shaft while leaving the exhaust in place.
>Don't
>>  know if you can do the same on the TR6, however.
>
>Dave,
>
>I just removed and replaced mine a few weeks ago. I was able to remove and
>replace it without removing or relocating ANYTHING else. Just undid the 4
>bolts at each flange, and dropped it right out. About a 15 minute job each
way
>(plus another 15 or so to get the car up and back down off the
jackstands).

>Dan Masters,

Dan, Jack,

Dan, You have a '71 TR6.  Jack Clark has a 74.  The transmission
mounts are different and Jack can not do it the way you did
because if that.  What a rotten turn of events.  I have
found it necessary to pull either the transmission or the
differential to get the drive shaft out on the later models!

Removing the rear driveshaft cover is a possibility but since
it is welde in place it would be a job for a sheet metal jockey
which I am not.

It could be worse.  It could be a Jag XKE.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA

57 TR3
71 TR6 (with a 73 frame)