Re: Leaky GT6 Spin-on filter kit

To: <Trmgafun@aol.com>, <isaac@avana.net>
Subject: Re: Leaky GT6 Spin-on filter kit
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:42:45 +0100
Cc: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi, Isaac,

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago, fitting a MOCAL adaptor to
my 2.5PI Saloon.

I solved it by taking the whole kit to my local bearing supplier who also
sells O-rings. Since the (thin) inner ring was sealing against the block,
the obvious thing was to use a slightly thicker outer ring than supplied.
After a lot of measuring, we found that a nominal 1/8" O-ring was indeed a
few thou. thicker than the standard item. It worked and has remained oil
tight.

One word of warning. A lot of people posted to the list with stories of how
they had snapped off the inner boss in the block by overtightening the
centre bolt. It seems the threaded boss is none to deep and consequently it
is possible to break it.

The temptation is to tighten the centre bolt to stop the leak but DON'T.
Just remeber that O-rings cost a lot less than engine blocks.

Cheers,

David Hill, UK.