Re: Gt6 front brakes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gt6 front brakes
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (G. Wiederholl)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:03:07 +0200
Hello Paul,

you might want to do a  complete overhaul of both calipers. The general steps
are:

remove caliper

remove brake pads

close the brake pipe hole

wash/clean caliper

if appearance matters have it  bead blasted

remove pistons by:

a. blow compressed air in the hole of the brake pipe and make sure not to get a
finger between the pistons. Usually one piston starts to move slowly and will
at
last pop(shoot) out. After this close the hole where the piston has been. This
can be done with a piece of rubber and a vice. Again blow in compressed air
untill the second piston is out. Mark the pistons to make sure they will find
their place again.

b. if a. didnīt work: find a screw which fits the thread of the brake pipe.
Drill a hole in it (the long way). Make a thread for a grease nipple into the
head of the screw and screw the nipple in. Connect your grease gun with the
nipple and press grease in. The pistons will come out!

clean the caliper(steam gun etc.). All grease has to go.

clean the pistons.

check the pistons and cylinders. Scratches in the caliper and scratches or rust
scars in the piston mean they have to be replaced.

after everything is clean you can start reassembling  by using new sealing
rings , circlips and dust covers and a special brake caliper grease

now you can paint the calipers with heat proof paint

check the disc for wear and distortion

Reassembling and bleeding as usual

Let us know what you will do

Regards