Re: Only for Triumph enthusiasts in NEW ZEALAND

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Only for Triumph enthusiasts in NEW ZEALAND
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:42:36 +1300charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Ashley Southgate" <ashleys@es.co.nz>
John

Thanks for your concern regarding New Zealand lamb. It is your loss as much
as ours - you get an inferior more expensive (and probably subsidised)
product and we miss out on exports. Of course the export season for New
Zealand lamb will shortly be in full swing... From newspaper reports, I
understood that most of the buyer resistance was coming from the Asda and
other supermarket chains rather than the government - but then stories can
get distorted along the way.

Regarding Valvmaster - I think it is rubbish. It that clear enough?

It is a product manufactured by DuPont I believe, and the cartel of fuel
companies here in New Zealand endorse it simply becuase it is the easy way
out for them.

I ran my 2500S on it for a while, and suffered fouled spark plugs, worsening
performance, poor starting, etc - everthing and anything that can make
motoring a misery. The fuel itself (high in aromatics such as toulene and
benzine) rotted the fuel lines in my car as well as many others. I know a
guy who was in his Lotus when it caught fire because of that.

The better solution, particularly if you are like me and use the vehicle
regularly, is to fit a fuelstar canister. There is a webpage at
www.fuelstar.com that has the information you require. The Automobile
Association tried to rubbish it, but have been very silent of late, but they
have aligned themselves to one of those fuel companies (BP)... I have found
it to be a wonderful product, and have recommended it to others running 2500
PI's, 2500TC's, a Mercedes 280SL among others. All of them have experienced
as good a result, if not better than me with their cars.

Placement of the unit is important - fitting it as near as possible to the
carburettor(s) and preferably on the engine block, and the unit has a
running in period while the tin catalyst is activated. It is also important
to change the oil after 1000km as it turns black with the initial cleansing
action.

My car has not suffered valve recession since fitment of the fuelstar, the
exhaust is cleaner and drier - though sadly not grey as it was with leaded
fuel, fuel consumption is better and starting is easier - and this can
achieved with lower octane fuel. I still use the higher octane fuel as the
performance is better due to the ignition being further advanced.

Of course all this would not have been necessary if leaded petrol was still
available but that is another story.

David Greed
1979 2500S Man O/D

Email: greed@wave.co.nz  (Home)