TR6 tires advice

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 tires advice
From: Shawn Mann <shaw.mon@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 22:28:28 -0700
Listers,

I've been away from the list for the last 6 months so forgive me if this
question was asked last week, but I am looking for advice for good tire
sizes for my TR6.  Now I know that 205/70-15 are a popular choice to
preserve the correct diameter, and I know several people who run
205/65-15 for higher performance.  I'd like to preserve the "big wheel"
look (as well as keeping my speedo somewhat accurate).  I've sized some
205/65s and they just seem too small,  but no one seems to make a
"performance" tire in 205/70, only "touring".  I'm currently
semi-restoring my car to attractive driving condition, not show, so I
want the best performing tire that still looks "right".  I've thought
about 215/65-15s, but have heard conflicting information about their
suitability for mounting on the 5 1/2" rims.  So here I am hoping to get
more information to add to the confusion.

TIA,

Shawn Mann
70 TR6