Re: Determining front end conditon

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Determining front end conditon
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@anr.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:51:56 -0400
Visual inspection is good enough for the bushes.  Probably need replacing
anyway, they're not pricey.  For trunnions, you really need to pull the
front end apart and look at the condition of the trunnion bolt hole and
the inside where the vertical link turns.  If the steering lock stops are
broken off, buy new trunnions.  The bolts are much harder than the
trunnion and will be hard to get out.

Without taking it all apart you can do the old wheel wiggle test:

1) With the wheels on the ground, grab the tire at the front and back
and yank back and forth.  Watch for movement at the tie rods and tie
rod ends.  This is easier if you can put the wheels on a dolly, or lock
the steering wheel with the wheels off the ground.

2) With the front wheels off the ground, grab the top and bottom of the tire,
yank in and out, have someone watch for any movement at the ball joint
(top) and trunnion bolt (bottom.)  You can also see movement at the
a-arm attachments by doing this.

At 06:56 PM 10/19/98 -0500, Brad Kahler wrote:

>Listers,
>
>TRF is having a big sale on TR4 parts and all the high dollar items for my
>TR4 are about half price.  Problem is I've not been able to drive the car
so I
>don't really know what shape the existing components are in.  Is there a
>way to test, such as wigglying or shaking that I can use to determine whats
>good or bad.  The car is on jack stands and won't be back on its wheels for
>quite some time yet.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>TIA
>
>Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
>
>1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
>1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
>1961 TR4                  CT288L (Now with OD!!)
>1959 TR3                  TS41311L (Rusting Hulk)
>1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108

Cliff Hansen