77 Spit motor and tranny

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 77 Spit motor and tranny
From: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 06:48:15 -0700
Brian wrote:

Since I might be putting in some exotic drivetrain, I will need to sell the
old one. How much is a 1500 engine and 4spd trans worth? I believe it only
has 23,000mi on it. At least that is what the odometer says. It runs good,
good clutch, no air pump.
Anyone?

Ken writes:

As a veteran used Spit tranny buyer (I've bought three) I can honestly say
that a used 77 Spit tranny goes for $500.00, minimum, at least in Tucson.
The motor would probably sell for $700.00. I inquired about motors when I
bought my last 4speed tranny out of a MG midget.  While I never actually
bought the motor, that was the asking price. So, $1,200 or $1,300 should
get you both. Frankly, I'd ask for  $1,500 and let the guy talk me down a
couple hundred.