Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold

To: fred griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:18:42 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
fred griffiths wrote:

> I just put the Spitfire MK IV away for the winter, and wouldn't
> you know it, today was one of the nicest days we have ever had (and
> probablly will have for many months.)  I didn't dare - I had cancelled
> the insurance last week during the snow storms.
>         Anyway, I've lived with a noisy exhaust manifold for the past
> year or so, getting worse, and thought it was just cracked, so I'd take
> it off this fall and see about welding.
>         Oh yeah. Darn thing came off in two parts!  Any suggestions for
> 1. repair
> 2. replac,ment with cast iron original type,
> 3. replacement with manufactured header?
>
> All suggestions welcome.
> Thanks, Fred
> --
> Fred & Wendy Griffiths
> Calgary, Canada
> mailto: griffco@cadvision.com
> http://www.cadvision.com/griffco/index.htm

I'd be wary of trying to repair it; if you could find a welder to do
the job, I doubt the manifold would end up being true enough to bolt
up to your engine without leaking.  Unfortunately, replacement manifolds
can be tough to come by, too.  Think about getting a header -- made
by anybody BUT Monza.  Their "Pacesetter" for the Spit is a piece of
crap.  I spent hours fitting one, only to have it fail -- a tube
split wide open -- less than a year later.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6