Triumph attempts Birmingham (UK) to Cape town Rally!!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Triumph attempts Birmingham (UK) to Cape town Rally!!!
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:58:10 EDT
Cc: Thomas.Schmid@softlab.de
Fellow Listers Worldwide:

You may be aware, or not, that last year the Triumph Sports Six Club's late
model Spitfire register Secretary & generally famous Triumph enthusiast and
adventurer:
John Thomason successfully drove his 1963 Vitesse 6 Saloon/Sedan from Peking
to Paris on all of 1596cc, not only did he make it, but he did rather well, I
think he came in about 18th, which was a very creditable result considering
his lack of prior experience and the opposition, things like the Willy's Jeep
(spelling?)....

Anyhow, Off he goes again!!!
Is there no stopping this man and his amazing Triumph Vitesse ?
It seems not!!!

For this time, he is driving from our National Exhibition Centre in
Birmingham, England, via Canary Wharf in London's rejuvinated Docklands...to
Cape Town on the Southern Tip of South Africa !!!
He is not doing this trip alone...BTW, oh no, his co-driver is none other than
John Kipping, yes, that is JK of JK Triumph Spares in Coventry...
the gentleman but for whom, many, many Triumphs would have long since ceased
to function!!!

To the best of my knowledge, they are departing Canary Wharf, (the big white
office building), in London's docklands on the morning of 28th October 1998,
and are due to arrive at a large International Hotel at Cape Town in South
Africa on 1st December 1998.

You may follow this epic adventure, and the two John's progress at the
following URL...(I have been advised, so it had better be correct):

<http://www.he-ro.co.uk/lchome.htm>

This info has been passed on to me by Thomas Schmid (lister) of 1st spitfire
Club Deutschlands, who says:

"Could you please post this information to the list ? (My english is not that
good)"

"Good luck to John Kipping and John Thomason in their Triumph Vitesse !!!"

Thanks Thomas
BTW your English is a darn sight better than my German!!!
Leon F Guyot
also wishing our adventurous friends who have entered the ONLY Triumph in the
rally, all the best of British Luck, and any other kind on offer!!!
Leon