Re: New Zealand/unleaded/fuelstar/additives

To: "Triumphs Digest (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New Zealand/unleaded/fuelstar/additives
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:16:24 -0700
'Spoilt' is definately the right word.

NZ is a very beautiful and for the most part a sparcely populated country.
People there seem to think they shouldn't have to use leaded fuel or comply
with any auto emissions standards because '...we're so small compared to
the US...' or '....it's a California problem....'.
I say bollocks - it's a global problem which everyone has a personal
responsibility to help solve. NZ is behind the rest of the world on
emissions control and unleaded fuel. How long has it been seen leaded fuel
was available in the US??? - decades?? Admittedly emissions control and
unleaded fuel are slightly different issues but both are pollutants - the
second is just invisible and prevents the use of catalytic converters to
prevent the first.

Complaints of pinking and plug fouling in the US due to unleaded gas are
relatively rare - mostly I think because engines here are kept in better
tune and overhauled more frequently. Partly to comply with emissions
standards but also because it's not generally considered acceptable to
drive around blowing out great clouds of blue smoke behind you. Not so in
NZ - every time I go back there I'm shocked at the high number of cars on
the road which would be considered 'gross polluters' here in CA. Nothing
worse than driving through spectacular scenic countryside choking on fumes
from the smoking old reck in front of you.

Concern in the US over unleaded fuel is mostly directed toward valve seat
recession which is a valid concern for those running original valve seats.
The general consensus as I recall was to drive it until they wore out and
then replace with hardened seats. The current NZ mentality is drive it,
despite the fact that the engine has 200,000 miles on it, and then bit*h at
the oil company when it doesn't run as well on unleaded.

I say that it's well past time NZ joined rest of the developed world and
did their part to solve the global pollution problem.

sorry, rant mode off, returning to corner now...

Mark Sinclair
(Kiwi, now in CA)

From: Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>

I've followed the unleaded/fuelstar/valve-master/NZ threads for the last
few days
and here's my 2 cents worth...

I think many of you will agree with me - if you want to run your triumph
on unleaded fuel,
get hardened valve seats installed. Don't rely on additives (unless it's
lead) to do it for you.

snip