Interesting Problem - Comments & Opinions Desired - longish

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Interesting Problem - Comments & Opinions Desired - longish
From: On the Mark Software & Consulting <mark.milotay@onthemark.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 20:20:22 -0700
As I was driving off from the house tonight I noticed that the oil light
was on. As I had just topped it up yesterday, my initial thoughts were that
I either had something wrong with my wiring or that with it being the first
really cold and foggy day of the year that it would take a moment for the
pressure to come up. When it did not go off within 10 seconds I pulled
over. There was a line of oil down the street and a puddle under the car. I
checked the dipstick which when wiped and redipped came out clean and had a
quick look underneath. All that I could see was oil dripping down off of
the block and everywhere else. I threw a couple of litres in and checked
the dipstick it was almost up to the min mark on the stick. I quickly
turned around and got it home. I popped the hood again and found the source
of the flow. My oil filter was resting on one of the engine mounts. I
changed the oil a couple of months ago and I haven't had to add more oil
than I usually do, so I am assuming that the oil filter has been snugly in
place. Has anyone had a problem like this before? My stepfather made a
suggestion, but before pursuing it I would like to know of other
possibillities. His suggestion was based on the small disagreement I had
with the pump jockey yesterday because I wanted to fill my car myself. I
explained that I had just had it painted and that I was worried about
spillage. He took great offence to this. I checked the oil while he
finished pumping the gas. I noticed that it was down to the fill line, so I
asked him to top it up and I went to pay. While I admit that it is a
possibility I still like to believe that people aren't that nasty. Sorry
for the length of this message.

Thanks,

Mark Milotay
'80 Spit