TR3A Ignition timing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A Ignition timing
From: Chris Lermanis <lermanis@netspace.net.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:29:35 +1000
Just handed in my  Joseph Lucas (Prince of Darkness) distributor for a
rebuild- The result looks splendid,(new bush made,moving plate in firm
allignment with base plate,springs and weights replaced etc.etc.)

Before you scoff and ask why would anyone rebuild such a device when
electronic ignition replacements have been around since the moon landing
,let me admit to sentimentality and the shortness of dollars.

The auto electrician has however made some concessions for the second
millenium. He has altered the advance curve to facilitate a  smoother
response in performance. Another benefit I'm told will be the ease of
timing-setting with a  strobe light.

If I've got all the facts right,there will be no advance before 500 engine
RPM and the timing is set at 10 degrees BTDC dynamically.

It is at this point that I seek your assistance:

If the hole in the crank shaft pulley is TDC for Number1 cylinder,how far
along the circumference of the pulley would the 10 degree position be? I
ask this with the hope that someone has had to do this calculation in the
past. Also I presume the 10 degree BTDC mark would go to the right(ie
Clockwise)of the TDC hole in the pulley.

All suggestions appreciated.

Chris Lermanis.
TR3A 1958

(Melbourne Australia)