RE: How to repair rip in conv top

To: "'John Middlesworth'" <jape@email.unc.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: How to repair rip in conv top
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:05:56 -0500
A good upholstery shop can patch and sew just about anything but I don't
think you'll be happy.  Unless it is right next to the window, they can
put a piece underneath the tear about 1 1/2" x the length + 1 1/2".
Making sure the tear is pulled together, sew around the outer edge of
the patch.  Then go back and forth over the tear itself in a very tight
zig zag pattern.  If the edge of the tear wants to stick up, another
stitch along the tear (both sides) can finish it up.  You could add a
little vinyl/fabric glue between the patch and the top for good measure.
Finally, be sure to weather proof the stitching so you don't have a leak
into the interior.  If you are going to repair it - do it quickly as the
longer you wait the harder it is for the tear to be pulled together.

My opinion:  Your brother may not like it, but go for the new top.

Carl