Re: Commission Numbers / Engine Numbers

To: Bill Miller <millerb@netusa1.net>
Subject: Re: Commission Numbers / Engine Numbers
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 23:14:33 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Bill Miller wrote:

> It's a '78 spit 1500...engine number...is a strange
> one:  DM5063ESS.  Now if I have done my research correctly, my engine
> number should be the same as my commission number and start with an
> "F" not a "D"  The only mention of  "DM-------" engine numbers refer
> to a car called a Triumph Toledo....

Toledo it is. In fact, specifically it is a Toledo 1500 engine. Not only
that, but (if I remember correctly) the "SS" suffix letters indicate a
"spares" engine as opposed to one originally installed in a Toledo on the
assembly line.

The good news is that this "Toledo" engine probably isn't much different
from your car's original engine, although it likely is a bit more towards
"home market" specification than the original. For the most part, I
suspect you'll have little trouble treating it as if it were indeed a '78
Spitfire 1500 engine.

Possibly some of our UK list members can provide better detail on
differences between a Toledo and a U.S.-spec. Spitfire engine (cam?
pistons? valves/springs/compression ratio?).

--Andy