Re: Commission Numbers / Engine Numbers

To: Bill Miller <millerb@netusa1.net>
Subject: Re: Commission Numbers / Engine Numbers
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:07:43 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill,
just as Andy wrote its a Toledo 1500 engine out of the Stanpart
spare parts department. And a brand new one to that, when it
was sold originally.
The suffix ESS is supposed to stand for Engine Spares Stock and
[as opposed to the ordinary engines] doesn't state if it's a HE
[High compression Engine] or a LE [Low compression Engine] but
it's most probably an ordinary "Home Market" specification one.
That would have meant some hefty 64, or possibly 71, hp DIN with
twin SU carbs.

The DM engine is the same as the Spitfire one but with a lower
degree of tuning. Spare parts are the same for both.

Another strange suffix used on Stanpart engines was FRE, meaning
a Factory Rebuilt Engine...
Another tidbit of odd trivia...
Regards
/Odd