Commission Numbers / Engine Numbers

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Commission Numbers / Engine Numbers
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:20:51 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Help!

15 years ago I owned a '69 Spit 1296 (I wish I never got rid of it!)
and for the past year I have really got the urge to get another one.
After much searching I found a "project" car around here (central
Indiana) and I began working on it.
It's a '78 spit 1500.  Things are going well and I am extremely exited
about it (My wife says insane/nuts is a better word than excited)  I
have been watching this list, silently,  for the past several week and
all this talk lately about matching commission/engine numbers got me
wondering.  I checked my engine number tonight and it is a strange
one:  DM5063ESS.  Now if I have done my research correctly, my engine
number should be the same as my commission number and start with an
"F" not a "D"  The only mention of  "DM-------" engine numbers refer
to a car called a Triumph Toledo.  Am I totally off base with this?
If I am not were in the world would I get parts for a Toledo motor??

Thanks,

Bill Miller
78 Spitfire FM73432U - motor DM5063ESS