Re: Ammeter vs. Voltmeter -Reply

To: Charley Maresca <maresca@abc.org>
Subject: Re: Ammeter vs. Voltmeter -Reply
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:46:34 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
>Is an ammeter wired differently, and are there particular locations which
>are better than others for such wiring?  I assume it is, and there are,
Yes, most ammeters are wired in series with positive side with the entire
load of the car, minus the starter running through it.  Volt meters are
just wired parallel with the battery.  Being wired in series, the wires
have to be capable of handling the entire load of the running car with all
accessories running which means quite heavy gauge wires running to the
gauge.  Voltmeters on the other hand just have to have current capabilities
of the gauge itself, maybe half an amp if that, and as such have only very
small gauge wire requirements.  Plus, with an ammeter the wires are always
hot or have current running through them, even with the ignition off, so
careful routing is required.  As for location, anywhere that it is clearly
visible is all that is required -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (someday soon back on the road)