Re: worn gear

To: MD.FEED@nwh.org
Subject: Re: worn gear
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:32:13 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< I received some good advice on layshaft end float tolerances and various
opinions on
 fixes that would be acceptable. Now onto the gears. How bad can the dog teeth
be before
 replacing a gear. The meshing teeth are fine on all gears, no chips,etc, but
second
 gear shows some beat up dog teeth that are worn and rough looking, but not
broken or
 missing. Should I look for another gear or not?

                                    Dennis TR-6 >>

Dennis
Dog teeth? Interesting way to describe this portion of the gear! At least it's
not dog breath!
But seriously........
I doubt you will notice any ill effects of re-using a gear like this unless
really worn. The worst that might happen would an occasional tendency to pop
out of gear when you let off the gas while in gear. Shifting should be fine
tho'. If you're concerned about it then replace the gear. These things are
pretty 'spensive.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B