Re: TR4 gauge seal

To: kenlane@ddminc.net
Subject: Re: TR4 gauge seal
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:14:32 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> Taking my GT-6 gauges apart I found a carbon (burned or melted stuff) like
> material inside the metal ring on the front of the gauge.
>
>  What can I use to replace that sorta burned material with, and my gauges
had
> no other seal.  Should they?  I am not quite ready to reassemble them so any
> advice is welcome.

Ken, I don't know of a source for those seals.  What you saw was the same as
what I saw - i.e. the old seals had dried out and solidified.  I see several

1) Go to a place which stocks "O" rings and get some which fit.

2) Cut seals out of some thin plastic or rubber and put them between the bezel
(the "metal ring" ) and the case.

3)  Use some silicon gasket material to seal the gauges

4)  Put the gauges back together without seals and then clean them every once
in awhile.

I bought some seals which go between the outside of the bezel and the dash.  I
used them but do not know if those seals will stop moisture and dust from
getting into the gauges or how much time will pass before the gauges will need
a cleaning again.  I'm sending this to the triumph list.  Maybe someone there
knows where to get some seals.   Sorry I couldn't be more help but remember
that I had the same problem.  Cheers.

Art Kelly