Re: Steering Wheel Restoration

To: JBEley@4gl.com
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Restoration
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:14:39 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> I just found one [a steering wheel]that's in "fair" shape, according to the
owner.  He says it
> has a small, hairline crack where the wire meets the edge.  Says he'll sell
> it for $85.  Could you send me the name and address of the place you're
> sending your wheel to be refurbished?  I may need to do the same.  Thanks
for
> the info.

Try Koch's Restorations in Canyon Country Ca. (805) 252-9264.  They will give
you an estimate for time and price.  (This came from an article on p.48 of the
Aug/Sept '97 issue of British Car magazine)

>  The gas cap must vary.  It would make sense that it should face the driver,
> so he could release it so the attendant could put gas in (remember when
> people did that for you?).  I've seen pictures with it facing every
direction,
>  so I guess it's easily changed (for whatever reason).

Very easily.  Just remove the baacking in the trunk, release the clamp on the
fill spout and twist the cap.

>  One other question.  I just ordered replacement turn signal lenses from
Moss
> and they're clear, instead of amber.  My car had awful white plastic lenses.
> All pictures I've seen show amber lenses.  While I'm not going to show my
car,
>  I am interested in having it as correct as possible.

My opinion is that US import spec cars had clear turn signal lights.  I can't
remember amber turn signal lights as standard on cars in the US in the '60s.
On the TR4's the amber lights were used in the UK and in some European
countries.

There are two configurations however.  Mine had the later, larger lenses.
Earlier TR4's had a smaller lense with different "guts."    See page 81 of the
Moss (edition TRI-07) catalogue.  I have the lower lights on that page i.e.
the CLEAR Moss #544-070 assembly (my Comm# is CT33118L - so that jibes).

>  Thanks again.

You're welcome.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/ factory pickup/US specs)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant