Re: TR6 clutch problem (was Fw: Triumph)

To: lukehart@mis.net
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch problem (was Fw: Triumph)
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 06:47:48 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Eric,

Congrats on your new TR6.  Sounds like the hydraulics need some attention.
Check your clutch fluid reservoir to see if it has fluid in it.  If not, then
you've got a leak somewhere and you'll have to repair it and most likely bleed
the system.  If when you pump the clutch pedal, you start to get your pedal
pressure back, but then after sitting again you lose it again, then you may
need to rebuild your slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder.

If the car's been sitting a long time, I'd check all the hydraulics and make
sure everything is in good working order.  One of the worst senarios for a
hydraulic system is not using it, because things tend to dry up. The clutch is
one thing, but bad brakes can be fatal.

Also, make sure you know what kind of brake fluid is in your system before you
add any.  If it's silicone brake fluid (DOT5), it will not mix with water, if
it is "not" silicone, it will mix with water.  Do the drop in the glass of
water trick.

Scott Helms
'57 BN4
'76 TR6

<< > I have recently purchased a 73 TR-6.  When I got it home I stared it up.
 > Everything seemed smooth except the clutch pedal.  The pedal has NO
 > resistance when pushed in.  The former owner drove the car to his home
 parked it > and let it sit for 6 months.  The clutch worked fine when he
 parked it. (this person > is a good friend and has no reason to mislead me)
 have read many of the
 > articles about clutch problems on this car, but I am still a little
 confused.  I have
 > never felt what a operable hydraulic clutch pedel is supposed to feel like.
 So I  >>