Re: rearend noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rearend noise
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 07:39:50 -0800
Gary Ganoung wrote:
>John Henry wrote:
>>
>> My TR6 has recently developed a new noise in the rear. When I go over a
>> bump it sounds like something is knocking on the bottom of the car
>> around by the wheel wells. I have totally dismantled the rear drive
>> train, pulled the differential and checked the mounting studs and found
>> nothing. There's not much left to check. Does anyone out there have any
>> suggestions or experienced anything similar?
>>
>> John Henry
>> College Station, Texas
>> '72 TR6
>> '76 TR6
>>
>My 74 TR6 suffers from the same malady!  I kept thinking that it was the
>exhaust system that kept clunking.  A friend of mine, an MGA afficiando,
>suggested it might be the lever shocks.  He has a problem with his and
>had them rebuilt.  Did you look there?

Occasionally one or more of the bolts that secure the lever shock to the
chassis will work itself loose (on my car, anyway) and this will produce a
similar clunk.  It may just be as simple as tightening those bolts up, guys!

I can't really think of why your shocks would make a "clunking" sound
internally... it would seem to me that if your shocks were badly worn and
needed rebuilding, then your rear end would just bounce all over the place.
I don't see any kind of "clunking" as a result of worn shocks.  Check the
bolts.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6