Re: TR-4A - 4.28 rear end; what gives?

To: acrane@crosslink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, jfcowan@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: TR-4A - 4.28 rear end; what gives?
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:06:19 EST
acrane@crosslink.net writes:

<< According to my original sales brochure for the 67 TR4A, the standard
 rear end was 3.7, but 4.1 was an option with OD.  So your 4.28 probably
 is not factory original. However, I recollect that alternative gearing
 was available from the aftermarket and was relatively easy to install in
 the standard differential.  The Triumph Competition Manual may talk
 about that. >>

According to the Glenn Mitchell Collision Estimator guide, under "competition
items", the 4.3 rear was available for a suggested retail of $47.75, the 4.5
was $58.15 and if you really wanted to shoot the works you could get a "no
spin differential" for only $116.50.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be
dated, but since it lists the TR250 and not the TR6, I presume it's about 1968
or so...

Don Marshall