cookies

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: cookies
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:42:20 -0500
i heard this before but it should be passed along  guys i don't afirm any
truth to the story OK.

My daughter and I had just finished a salad at a Neiman Marcus Cafe in
Dallas
and decided to have a small dessert.  Because both of us are such cookie
lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman Marcus cookie."  It was so excellent
that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a
small frown, "I'm afraid not but, you can buy the recipe."  Well, I asked
how
much and she responded, "Only two fifty, it's a great deal!"  I agreed and
told her to add it to my tab.

Thirty days later, I received my Visa statement and the Neiman Marcus
amount
was $285.  I remembered spending $9.95 for two salads and $20 for a scarf.
Then I noticed "Cookie Recipe - $250."  Outrageous!

I called Neiman accounting dept. and told the waitress said it was "two
fifty"
which clearly does not mean "$250."  Neiman's refused to budge--no refund.
According to them "What the waitress told you is not our problem.  You have
seen the recipe.  We absolutely will not refund your money."

I explained the criminal statutes which govern fraud in Texas, threatened
refer them to the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General
Office.  I was basically told, "Do what you want, it doesn't matter we're
not
refunding your money."

I waited, thinking of how I could get even or even try to get any of my
money
back.  I said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250
worth of fun."  I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie
lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250 cookie recipe
from Neiman Marcus . . . for free.  They replied, "I wish you wouldn't do
this."  I said, "Well you should have thought of that before you ripped me
off," and slammed down the phone on them.  So here is the recipe:

Neiman Marcus Cookies (recipe may be halved)

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal -- blend in a blender to a fine powder
24 oz chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1  8 ounce Hershey Bar -- grated
4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts -- can be omitted

Cream butter and both sugars  Add eggs and vanilla
Mix dry ingredients together and then add to the wet ingredients
Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts
Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet
Bake 10 minutes at 375 degrees
Makes 112 cookies