Re: MIG-TIG/Plasma Cutters

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MIG-TIG/Plasma Cutters
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:11:59 -0500
Chris Lillja wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I know this is a regular thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any
> experience with "Daytona MIG" a welding equip. supplier?
>
> Their current ad in Hemmings lists some great prices on a TIG welder and a
> plasma cutter. Like BOTH for the same $$ as just the TIG welder from
> Eastwood...
>
> Of course the Eastwood TIG is a really nice Lincoln and I'm sure the Daytona
> welders aren't as nice... but, well, you know...
>
> I have a big old Lincoln 225 that's just not that useful for body work...
>
> I trained on a gas welding outfit, so I figure the TIG will come pretty
> naturally....
>
> (Can you tell I'm thinking of tackling a new project?) ;>)
>

> Chris Lillja
> Spit MKIV
> Norton Commando
> TR4A

The "budget" TIG machines are all pretty much the same.  They are OK for the
hobbyist
user provided:

1. You don't want to weld alum.  Most are DC only machines so you can only weld
steel.  If they are AC, there is usually no balance control, so you cannot
alter the
ratio of cleaning/penetration, which is a function of the electrode polarity,
meaning
alum welds may have a lot of inclusions.

2.  They usually have a contact starter, meaning that you have to touch the
tungsten
to the work to initiate the arc.  More expensive machines have a time-delayed
high
frequency starter that works more like a spark plug to initiate the arc without
touching.

3.  Torches are air cooled, not water cooled, meaning you don't have a very
long duty
cycle.

4.  Not all machines give you the foot pedal amperage control, making it much
more
difficult to use the machine to produce a satisfactory weld.

That said, they are good machines for the hobbyist.  Making the jump from
Oxy/Acetylene to TIG isn't as easy as it looks.  My advice would be to save your
pennies and get a MIG machine instead of the TIG.  It will perform about the
same on
steel and alum.  It will be faster than the TIG, and costs a lot less.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars