Re: Dumb question of the day - lug nuts.

To: Dave Brink <dbrink@niu.edu>
Subject: Re: Dumb question of the day - lug nuts.
From: Ellen Kratz <hklean@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 09:31:46 -0500
Dave Brink wrote:

> Greetings, I recently aquired an 1979 Spitfire with aluminum mags on it
> (sorry, it came that way).  Anyway, it was missing a few lug nuts and
> I'm trying to determine if stock nuts for a steel wheel will work so I
> will have a solution to my problem.  They are the recessed washer type
> with a shank that threads over the stud and goes into the wheel.
> Obviously the thread size and the shank diameter are the most critical
> bits, though drilling out the existing holes to fit a larger shank would
> be an acceptable alternative.  Here are the dimensions:
>                _
>               / \
>              | | | Flats (.625" minor diameter, .715" major diameter)
> 1.59"        | | |
>  overall     ----- Washer
>  length       | |  Shank (internally threaded) .52" outside diameter
>               |_|    extends .44" below washer
>
> According to a drawing I saw in the moss catalog, it appears that the
> steel wheel lug nuts have a very remote chance of working, though I'm
> convinced that I'm looking at an aftermarket lug nut here (it has the
> words spitfire sprite midget on it and the mag center caps have an
> itallic looking "A" on them).  Please help this Triumph newbie figure
> out how to get his car back safely on the road if you know that stock
> lugs will work or if you know where I can get a couple lugs that will
> work.
>
> Thanks.
Dave ,From my experience,finding new shank style lug nuts in the stock
3/8" size, is not likely.If you do run across some the chances are they
will not be exactly the right length or diameter.
The best bet may be to have a machine shop make up some out of stainless
hex stock.Or,convert to 7/16" studs.Many new sizes are available in the
7/16" size.
Good Luck!
Rick Hand